When you decide to choose a tax service in Des Moines, IA to help you with your tax preparation, it is important that you take great care in making that decision. Keep in mind, this organization is going to be tasked with coordinating with you to ensure you save the most money possible and get all of your paperwork filed correctly and on time. Most tax preparation specialists are true professionals, but it’s still important to do your due diligence when making such an important decision.
Here are a few tips to help you choose your tax service in Des Moines, IA:
- Make sure they’re qualified: All tax preparation specialists should have a PTIN, or Preparer Tax Identification Number. If you ask for their number and they are unable to provide one, they are probably not properly accredited or qualified. You can also do a bit of background research to see how much experience the preparer has, how many clients they’ve assisted and other useful information.
- Look for reviews: Having a qualified tax preparation specialist isn’t enough—you want to make sure they are actually working well with their clients. Check for reviews online, with the Better Business Bureau and any other sources where you’re likely to learn about the preparer’s penchant for customer service.
- Research benefits: Do they offer lower service fees than other competitors? Do they offer electronic filing? Are they close to your home or place of employment? Do they have flexible hours? All of these benefits can go a long way toward improving your overall experience in working with a tax preparation specialist. Such benefits can definitely tip the scale in favor of one service over another, so consider them carefully as you make your decision.
- Talk to someone: If you are interested in a particular service, actually sit down and talk with them. One conversation should tell you all you need to know about a particular preparation service. If they are friendly, communicative and happy to answer any questions you have, those are excellent signs that you have chosen a good service. However, if they are unresponsive, unavailable or simply unwilling to spend much time addressing any questions or concerns you have, it’s probably best to move on and work with someone else. You want a tax preparation specialist you feel truly comfortable working with.
- Beware of warning signs: A reputable tax preparation specialist will never, for example, ask you to sign a blank tax return. This could be either a scam or a sign of severe incompetence and/or negligence. They should also not charge extra or exorbitant fees or avoid communicating with you.
A tax service in Des Moines, IA can be an invaluable resource in providing you with some much needed peace of mind during tax season. Follow these tips for selecting your tax preparation specialist, and you will find yourself with a service you will be able to trust and work with for years to come. For more information, contact the team at Accounting & Tax Professionals, PLC today.