Whether people simply need help filing their taxes, or require assistance battling the IRS during an audit, thousands of folks need tax help in Des Moines, IA every tax season. However, choosing the right company to help with your taxes can be difficult. While tax professionals all have years of training, some have more schooling and experience than others. Thankfully, there are some questions you can ask and resources you can use to ensure you choose the correct tax service to assist you this year:
- What certifications/licenses do you have? CPAs, enrolled agents, tax attorneys and several other types of professionals are all people who can prepare taxes. While CPAs and tax attorneys are great, enrolled agents are probably your best bet if you’re looking for the best tax help. Enrolled agents are all certified by the IRS, and can even represent you in front of the agency if you find yourself in a jam.
- What do you specialize in? Just like the medical field, not all tax firms practice the same thing. For example, you wouldn’t go to a neurologist if you have a stomach ache. So, would you go to a firm that specializes in corporate taxes for help on your individual return? Of course not. Before you set up an appointment with a firm, make sure they have someone who can help you out. We have multiple experts who can help you with your individual taxes!
- What are your fees? It’s good to shop around for anything you’re about to buy, right? You don’t want to end up paying more for a tax service than you have to. There are plenty of firms that will gladly overcharge you for their services—don’t fall for their trap! Most tax pros will bill you on an hourly basis; you can save a lot of money by bringing your tax professional all of the necessary paperwork ahead of time so they don’t have to spend more time on your case.
Finding a good tax firm is the key to having a successful, low-stress experience. Here are some resources you can use to help you find a trustworthy firm:
- The IRS: Believe it or not, the IRS is a great resource you can use to find a reputable company for tax help. The IRS has a database full of tax preparers who have the proper credentials to handle all of your tax needs.
- Friends and family: Many of your friends and family members probably use a professional to help with their taxes. They should be happy to recommend the firm they use if they’re happy with their preparer.
- Angie’s List and similar sites: Websites like Angie’s List can be invaluable when it comes to choosing a lot of different services. The sites provide fair assessments of companies and make choosing one easier.
Don’t go through an audit or try to do your taxes alone—hire a reputable firm for tax help in Des Moines, IA instead. We guarantee we can meet all of the criteria of a tax company that will take care of you and your money. Give Accounting & Tax Professionals, PLC a call today to learn more about how we can help!